Wednesday, August 3, 2011

My Teachable Moment...

God gives me teachable moments!

I've always looked for these, but I generally expect these in reverse order. But I had the sweetest little example of this night before last with Max.

And the story starts...
Brandon and I were shoveling dirt last night for our (endless) backyard project that is ALMOST done. Max is running around us, shovel in hand--the more he shovels, the dirtier he gets, the more clothes he then sheds. Before I realize it, he is 'completely bare'--down to the birthday suit...running amuck between piles of dirt and then a kiddie pool full of water. I consider myself to be somewhat of a fun mom, but after the dirt turned to a paste, I decided to pull the plug on the endless chaos of dirt/mud/filth. Hence, the reason for a good douse with a waterhose.

Waterhose bath later, I realize that this is going to require MUCH elbow grease from me. After the mother of all fits, we make it to the tub. A 'come to Jesus' after that, Max is sniveling in his jommies ready for bed. He got calm, picked out his five books, and I started reading--very thankful to have the crisis over and even more thankful that I did not give him away in the process:)

Book reading time adjourns, and my little man decides that he is going to say his own prayers for the night. (Keep in mind, that I normally have to help him with this--he's a great repeater but not normally so keen on the public prayer just yet). But that night, he fold his hand so intently, glues his eyes shut as tightly as possible, and says,

"Dear God. Thank you for Mama and Daddy. Thank you for Marmie. Thank you for Papa. And thank you for Miss 'Beff' and Miss Jamie. AMEN!"

One proud mama. The story of motherhood: one minute you want to scream from the madness and the next minute they fill your heart up so that you think it might burst.

And it let me see that Max can teach me lots of things--to forget the mess, the chaos, the busyness of life that I manage to fill, and to look at things through the simplicity of an almost-three-year-old. I'm thankful for my baby, my husband, great parents, and a loving family. And that matters:)

Here's my little man on our way to school this morning. It's ocean week (can we say ecstatic?) and Max is ready for their beach party--complete with a "Maxwell Kayuna" (aka Big Kahuna) shirt and "My Apples" (pineapple) swimming trunks.

0 comments: