Friday, May 7, 2010

Nashville Tennessee Flood 2010






I hope that most of you have heard about the unbelievable flooding we've seen in Nashville and surrounding areas this week. It's so surreal, but I am so proud of our community! Nashville is a special place, and it's true that we take care of ourselves! Guess that's why we're of such little interest to the national media--ha!

We actually were stuck in Dickson at a hotel for most of the chaos since the interstates and all roads were pretty much shut down. We were so fortunate to get the last hotel room at the Holiday Inn Express and my heart poured out to all those I saw sleeping in their cars, in parking lots, and on the sides of roads. It truly was an abdandoned feeling! We were lucky to get home Monday morning to see Allie and our house in one peice. We did have some water damage, but we will be fine. It's so minimal in comparison to most.

I'm almost ashamed to post this picture of Max and I in front of the TV, but this really just shows how little we knew of the situation. We had heard little of flooding at this point, other than water associated with all the tornado warnings. I wanted us to have a picture of us beside the TV to show the circumstances. Just constant and unending RAIN!




These pictures will give you a glimpse of how isolated we were. We could travel a few miles off the interstate in one direction, so we managed to get Max some swimming diapers to burn off some energy in the pool. Max was a real trooper for the two nights--like I said, it could have been sooo much worse. Praise God for getting us off the interstate and dry! I just keep thinking about those people that had to be rescued from their cars...I will say that it crossed my mind several times as we waded the water trying to get to higher ground. The panic in my head was just undescribeable. I guess that's what being a mom does to you!

Sadly, most of our information about road conditions came from friendly truckers on their CB radios. Here are Brandon and Max WALKING on the interstate trying to get information on what was ahead. This day it took us three hours to go five miles--we ended up turning around and staying in the hotel another night. Then, they officially closed the interstate. Cars and trucks lined the road for miles for 16 hours. Never in my life have I experienced anything like it. I hope I never do again!


Pray for everyone in Middle Tennessee...we all have friends that have lost EVERYTHING. I'm reminded of the bible verse--if my people in my name will rise up and pray, I will heal their land. (very paraphrased, by the way)!

0 comments: